Psychic Pokemon are all about the power of the mind or something like that. The word psychic is defined as a person that has an enhanced mind being able to use telepathy and telekinetic abilities. In this case, we have the Pokemon that have the power of psychics but don’t worry as you can know the Psychic Pokemon strength and weakness.
Strengths of Psychic-type Pokemon
Psychic-type Pokemon are generally strong in a sense. If this was a standard RPG, Psychic-types are like the mage characters capable of dealing magical damage. Now since this is Pokemon, the stats where the Psychic-types excel would be Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense where they are number one in both categories.
A lot of their moves center around dealing great amounts of damage and buffing their stats for the duration of the fight. They are also super effective against Fighting and Poison-types. It could also be a strength and a weakness, but Psychic-types deal half the damage against each other.
Weakness of Psychic-type Pokemon
Psychic-types can be generally strong, but they have their weakness. In terms of the stats, they have average HP and Defence which ranks around 9 and 11 respectively. It isn’t bad, but it isn’t that good either. They also have the second lowest Attack stat out of all the types being ranked 17. They are also weak against Bug, Ghost, and Dark-types. Speaking of Dark-types, Psychic moves do not affect Dark-types and if you have moves that rely on Attack then you won’t be dishing out too much damage, so you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Utilizing Dual-type Psychic-type Pokemon
Much like other Pokemon, Psychic-types can have a secondary-type, or it is the secondary-type to another type of Pokemon. Knowing the best combinations regardless of the main and secondary-types of Psychics, can give you the advantage or disadvantage.
- Psychic/Ghost-type can be the worst combination. The only advantage is that Normal and Fighting-types will not have an effect on this combination. Considering that Psychics are already effective against Fighting-types, then that would be a minor concern. The main problem is that a Psychic/Ghost-type will take more damage when facing against a Ghost or Dark-type since both types are weak against these.
- Psychic/Grass and Psychic/Dark types can be bad as well but not as bad as the Psychic-Ghost type. These combinations are bad against Bug-types, so that means these combinations will take more damage.
- Psychic/Dragon-type can be a double edge sword. Considering that Psychic-types have the highest SP. Attack and Sp. Defense, it would be a good idea to pair it up with a Dragon-type which has impressive HP, Attack, and Defense. Dragon-types are also resistant to Electric, Fire, and Water. The downside is that this combination has a total of six weaknesses, and they are Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Fairy, and Dragon.
- Psychic/Steel-type would be the best combination in this type. Steel has a lot of resistances from physical attacks, and it will pretty much compensate a Psychic-type’s weak Defence stat. Plus unlike the Psychic-Dragon, this combination only has four weaknesses. It also has a total of 8 resistances against certain types like Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Rock, Dragon, Fairy, and Steel. Plus the Steel’s weakness to Fighting and Psychic’s weakness to Bug have been completely turned into normal damage. Poison also doesn’t have any effect, and Psychic damages from enemy Pokemon are completely minimized.
Tips when using Psychic-types in battle
- Psychic-types have good damage output and their speed is not bad, so if you have one that has a good level for some areas, put it on the front to take out enemies faster than normal.
- A lot of Psychic moves involve buffing the Pokemon and debuffing enemy Pokemon. It is a good idea to have a Psychic-type upfront when you’re facing against a tough enemy. You can debuff the enemy first then swap out the Pokemon that you want to use in fighting the enemy.
- Teleport is also a Psychic move so if you don’t have any Repels and if you’re in an area where encounters happen and you don’t want to fight, you can just Teleport out of there.
- When you’re also teaching moves to your Psychic-type, it is advisable to teach them moves that rely on Sp. Attack damage and not those that use regular attacks because Psychic-types are strong in that field.
Psychic-type Pokemon can have a good damage output and are suitable to be used in the front if you want to easily defeat enemy Pokemon that are not from trainers and Gym Leaders. These are very tricky to use and can involve some strategy so you may want to have at least one good and beefed up Psychic-type when you know the Psychic Pokemon strength and weakness.